Join SDMYCO and guest teacher Michelle Hinojosa for a hands-on mushroom identification workshop and walk through Los Penasquitos Canyon.
SDMYCO Mushroom Identification Workshop
10am – 2pm
$20 for members (with code sent through member mailing)
Spaces available: 20
A Few Things To Note
- This workshop is open to members and non-members alike. Members get a discounted price. If you’d like to become a member you can join HERE. Only one membership per family is required.
- There are a limited # of spots available. Thus, each participant must register before arriving at the event.
- When registering you are required to agree to our liability waiver.
- Due to park restrictions no picking of mushrooms is allowed onsite. We will have plenty of samples for ID and will locate, view and put our ID skills to the test during our walk.
- Dress for the conditions: hat, sunscreen, hiking shoes, rain gear and warm layers as needed
- Bring water, snack and bagged lunch if desired
- Please collect mushrooms and bring them to the workshop to be used in the class-portion of identification
10am: Introduction to mushroom features and terminology
10:30am: Visual guide to fall fruiting fungi with in class identification practice using participant’s mushrooms
11:15am – 2pm: Slow but steady, immersive and hands-on hike through the park to locate, identify and document fungi.
Michelle Hinojosa is a San Diego native who currently lives in Orange County. She has been involved in the myco-community going on four years now, focusing on California fungi identification. She has been a member of SDMS since 2017 and has participated in multiple events and forays focused on teaching others identification.
Michelle is available for contact on the following platforms: