Join SDMYCO and guest teacher Dennis Shardmahd for a hands-on mushroom identification workshop and walk through Los Penasquitos Canyon.
SDMYCO Mushroom Identification Workshop
10am – 2pm
$20 for members (with code sent in member mailing)
Spaces available: 20
A Few Things To Note
- This workshop is open to members and non-members alike. Members get a discounted price. If you’d like to become a member you can join HERE. Only one membership per family is required.
- There are a limited # of spots available. Thus, each participant must register before arriving at the event.
- When registering you are required to agree to our liability waiver.
- Due to park restrictions no picking of mushrooms is allowed onsite. We will have plenty of samples for ID and will locate, view and put our ID skills to the test during our walk.
- Dress for the conditions: hat, sunscreen, hiking shoes, rain gear and warm layers as needed
- Bring water, snack and bagged lunch if desired
- Please collect mushrooms and bring them to the workshop to be used in the class-portion of identification
10am: Introduction to mushroom features and terminology
10:30am: Visual guide to fall fruiting fungi with in class identification practice using participant’s mushrooms
11:15am – 2pm: Slow but steady, immersive and hands-on hike through the park to locate, identify and document fungi.
Dennis Sharmahd, Edible Landscaper, Herbalist, Mycologist grew up with rare fruits and an edible landscaped garden in Lemon Grove. He has been traveling in the American South West, Mexico and Brazil hunting for rare fruits, herbs, mushrooms and vegetables. He has also been collecting and growing rare cactus and other fruits at his small farm north of Escondido for over 30 years.
Dennis is available for contact on the following platforms: