The SDMS had its first (and very successful) Fungus Fair on February 01, 1998 in Balboa Park. It was free to the public, and over 800 attended! There were display tables with specimens of local fungi, mushroom photos, etc.
Printable: 2019 Fungus Fair Flyer
Girard Gourmet will be catering the event and providing mushroom themed food items for purchase.
We will have the following presentations at the San Diego Mycological Society’s 22nd Annual Mushroom Fair on Feb 17th, 2019 in
12:45pm – Mary Ann Hawke speaking on “Documenting Mushroom Biodiversity With DNA”
Mary Ann will explain how the San Diego Mycological Society is participating in citizen science projects such as the North American Mycoflora Project http://mycoflora.org/ that are documenting the biodiversity of San Diego County using DNA barcoding.
She is an ecologist and environmental educator who enthusiastically promotes citizen science projects in San Diego. She was Director of the San Diego County Plant Atlas project at the San Diego Natural History Museum http://sdplantatlas.org/ and now volunteers with the San Diego Barcode of Life http://sandiegobarcodeoflife.org/ . She also cofounded the San Diego Citizen Science Network http://www.sandiegocitizenscience.net/
Mary Ann’s interest in fungi developed when she did her Ph.D. at Agriculture Canada in a lab researching plant pathology and plant-soil-microbe interactions.
11:30am – Elio Schaechter presenting “Tales from the World of Mushrooms” . https://schaechter.asmblog.org/schaechter/,
Moselio Schaechter, better known as “Elio” is a professor emeritus at Tufts University, adjunct professor emeritus at San Diego State University, and was a visiting scholar at University of California, San Diego. His work focuses on microbiology, and also became a mycologist along the way. Has written dozens of books and received an array of awards. He edited the Bulletin of the Boston Mycological Club before moving to southern California. He became one of San Diego Mycological Society’s founding member and past president. Come hear the wise words of wisdom with tales straight from the field.
1:30 pm – Alan Rockefeller speaking on “Hongos de Mexico : Mushrooms of Mexico”
Alan is a specialist in fungal taxonomy from Oakland, California, USA. In 2000 he began his autonomous studies in the field of mycology, beginning with the collection of fungi in California. Each year since 2007 he has traveled to Mexico to collect mushrooms – he has now identified more than 1,000 species of fungi from Mexico. Based on phylogenetic and microscopic analysis he has identified several species not described in the scientific literature. Alan regularly identifies mushrooms for several fungus fairs in Mexico and the USA in addition to identifying on websites such as The Shroomery, Mushroom Observer, iNaturalist and various Facebook groups.
Vendors selling goods at the fair: from fresh mushrooms, to tinctures and grow your own mushroom kits. Lots of unique mushroom art, jewelry, creative wear, photography and much more! (Expanded vendor descriptions)
- Lux Amor Pax: a brand that promotes light, love and peace through wearable one-of-a-kind works of art and mushroom themed gifts.Cassandra Ablola: Lux Amor Pax: Wearable one-of-a-kind works of art and mushroom themed gifts.
- Edible Alchemy is a small, independently ran and owned company. Our main focus is providing the public with amazing, local, consciously sourced, and intentionally created products to maximize optimal health.Edible Alchemy: https://edible-alchemy.net/ food
- Sam Andrasko: Mushroom farm
- Les Braund: Lichen Table
- Krista is a multidisciplinary artist with a background in cast metal sculpture who turned her carving skills to linoleum block printing.Krista Cuellar: block prints www.kristacuellar.com
- Gavin Escobar : The Chaga Company “Tonic of the forest, bounty of the earth, goodness for the planet.” Chaga has earned its titles such as “The King of Mushrooms” and the “Diamond of the Forest”. The Chaga Company offer a wide array of chaga products to suit everyone’s tastes and needs. The Chaga Company provides high quality mushroom products by maintaining the right harvesting product standards in both distribution and production. The Chaga Company products have several medicinal properties, ranging from the antioxidant properties for a youthful look, and the phytonutrients and adaptogen properties for a healthier and longer life.With the adoption of the green process of harvesting the mushrooms, the customers and environment are given the respect they deserve. Come learn more about this unique and powerful mushroom. Visit Gavin Ecobar, founder of The Chaga Company at the fair!Gavin Escobar: The Chaga Company. Antoxidant Chaga Mushrooms.
- Steve Ferrar : OM Shrooms : Mushrooms are our Mantra.Om is the leading producer of the highest quality certified 100% organic functional mushroom powders that contribute to optimal health. Having traveled the world to discover unique mushroom varieties, they have combined the perfect balance of ancient wisdom with modern methodology to grow these miraculous mushrooms in our state-of-the-art facility. They harness and distill the amazing, all-natural micronutrient benefits of the mushroom kingdom. Founders, Steve Farrar, a mycologist with over 30 years experience growing mushrooms and Sandra Carter (M.A. MPH, Ph.D.), a health and wellness expert with a PhD in preventative medicine, both have a deep-rooted passion for mushrooms. We encourage you to try for yourself and enjoy a new level of vibrancy and overall wellness. Come learn, sample and buy their products at the fair. Steve Ferrar: OM Shrooms: certified 100% organic functional mushroom powders that contribute to optimal health.
- Girard Gourmet, has been a local La Jolla hotspot since 1987, when Francois and Diana Geodhuys established this eatery. Girard Gourmet offers a selection of sandwiches, salads and pastries. They also offer a catering service for businesses and special eventsLooking to develop their store further, they have recently added designer cookie to their menus as well as organic produce from their farm in Julian where they recycle all the Girard Gourmet Kitchen scraps. They are committed in bringing their customers healthy honest and exceptionally tasting food. Come check out the delectable creations of Girard Gourmet, you are sure to get a mushroom treat. Come early for they may sell out! Girard Gourmet: Come check out the delectable creations of Girard Gourmet, you are sure to get a mushroom treat. Come early for they may sell out!
- Want to be a part of San Diego’s Mushroom research? Come find out about the San Diego Mycoflora Project. http://mycoflora.org/. We collect, identify, and sequence mushrooms of San Diego and San Diego County. Come be a part of this citizen science project, come to the fair to learn more!Mary Ann Hawke: Mycoflora Project
- Sarah captures glimpses from the ground in the form of photographic mushroom postcards and mushroom dyed goods.Sarah Minarik: postcards, mushroom dyed items www.petrichordream.com
- Eric Mueller: Muellers Mushrooms growing kits, tinctures
- Dennis Sharmahd, Edible Landscaper, Herbalist, Mycologist grew up with rare fruits and an edible landscaped garden in Lemon Grove. He is one of the founding fathers of the SDMS. He has been traveling in the American South West, Mexico and Brazil hunting for rare fruits, herbs, mushrooms and vegetables. He has also been collecting and growing rare cactus and other fruits at his small farm north of Escondido for over 30 years. He was one of the growers at Golden Gourmet Mushroom Farm and currently works with Mountain Meadows. He teaches in the area about wild edible and medicinal plans and mushrooms. He will be at the fair selling hand-made chocolate and tinctures as well as fresh delicious mushrooms from local farmsDennis Sharmahd: Mountain Meadow Mushrooms Hand-made chocolate and tinctures as well as fresh delicious mushrooms from local farms.
- SD MYCO Book store: chachkis, books, posters, knives
- Prime Roots which is a company that makes fungi superprotein that is delicious and good for you and the planet. Prime Root’s superprotein is grown using fermentation and their process and ingredients are all natural. Prime Roots is developing delicious, hearty, and nutritious meat and seafood alternatives with the protein and has a community chefs and foodies for meatfree recipe sharing, fungi related content, and experience seeking fungi-lovers.Prime Roots / CEO Kim Le & Sarina
- Rose Tusti: Tusti Art
- To mushroom lovers! I create many different style of mushrooms jewelries , realistic , fantasy, trippy ,forest spirits, gradation colored and with crystals too. Hope you find your favorite jewelry!Mushroom Zen: creates many different style of mushrooms jewelries